Friday, August 13, 2010



I've made it no secret that I have struggled with this move. Initially I was so pliable. "Thy kingdom come"...and I meant it. Then reality hit. Scott moved. I moved. There are white walls here and no backyard- this doesn't seem like a big deal, but it has really bothered me!!! No more pliable Kristi. Instead, my heels dug in, my back arched and I screamed, "Nooooooo!" Many tears have been shed, both in Yakima and Spokane and every city in between. I have ranted about "home" and what that means to me and how I don't want to leave and how, how, how....how can I make another home?

Our house has sold and we have to move everything out by the end of the month. (This is so surreal, even typing it.) We are looking for a place of semi-permanence and I am really looking forward to being surrounded by my own things soon. There has been chaos and stress and one dizzying thing after another. And in the midst of all this, my child sleeps. Total peace. She sleeps best when held in my arms, or the arms of my husband. We represent home to her. The rest doesn't matter. Here I am, longing for peace, praying for it and I honestly don't even know what I'm chasing after or complaining about when I see her. Today was an "aha" moment (thank you, Oprah for that terminology). Looking at these pictures I felt the deep, even breathing of God. His breath took mine away. And in that moment, as His heart beat with mine, I realized what home really is. It's being held in His arms, close to His chest and breathing. Surrendering to the pull of the quiet.

I want to dive down, deep into His mercy and rest there; I want to play, exuberantly and free as a child, in the shadow of His wings; I want to "act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with my God" (Micah 6:8). This does not mean I won't cry anymore, or hurt or question. It does mean surrender. And home. And a little something called trust.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Kristy, my favorite family friend and priest always told my parents and myself; "In times of uncertainty, bloom where you are planted" I know you and Scott will blossom in Spokane. Remember, nothing stays the same, forever.

    Hang in there sister. We are all rooting for you guys.

    Danno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember a house is just a building a home is what we make of it. You can make your home anywhere as long as you have God on your side, Scott by your side, and Anne in your arms. Hang in there sister!

    Bridgett

    ReplyDelete
  3. We moved from Wasilla to Eagle River/Anchorage in 1998, six months after Amber was born. It nearly killed me. We had to be closer to Tyler's work in order for us to function as a family. We had a the sweetest deal ever in Wasilla - we lived next door to my parents and had an amazing church family. I had spent a large amount of my teen/early 20's years in Wasilla and I knew a ton of people. "I really didn't want to leave" is a major understatement.

    But it really did all work out just fine. I got accustomed to life back in the big city - which I was dreading (okay, so Anchorage is only big by Alaska standards). We were blessed abundantly by God. I also joke that this is the time in my life when domestic bliss set in and took over my life. Really, who gets excited over warming up dirt in your microwave so your orchid roots aren't shocked??? ME!!!

    Hang in there . . . . in six months everything will look completely different :-)

    ReplyDelete